Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Adoption

Tanya's post as a response to Misty's post has prompted me to write this one (didn't know you were such a trendsetter, did you Misty? :)) I was going to respond in Tanya's comments, but I have too much to say I guess. So here goes...

After our last m/c Neal and I talked about adoption again. See, about a year ago I went to a women's thing here in town with a bunch of different churches. The speaker was an AWESOME lady. We had JUST started our first IUI cycle and I was scared and unsure of what our future would hold. About halfway through her message, the lady started talking about adopting her sons from Liberia. She didn't have IF problems; she actually had 3 little girls. But God told her and her husband to adopt these boys, and they were obedient. After hearing her story, my passion for adoption was stronger than ever, and I was ready to get started.

Neal wasn't ready for that yet, but didn't shut me down completely. He wanted to try all we could to have a biological child first, and after that we both think we want to adopt a baby. We had started filling out paperwork, picked an agency (Bet.hany Chri.stian Servi.ces), and looked into adoption meetings. We had even looked into embryo adoption, but that isn't right for us. I think we will do international adoption, probably from a European country (although I have a heart for a couple Asian countries too). Neal's family immigrated from Hungary in the 1940s or so, so we think that it would be neat to be able to adopt from there or somewhere close (Hungrary doesn't do many international adoptions). The reason we would do international adoption is because of the fear that Tanya mentioned: the birth parents coming back. Overseas adoptions are finalized there, and when you bring the child home they are yours. The parents can't come back, and most kids are already in orphanages. Here, it takes time (especially with an infant). There are too many "what-ifs" here I think. Maybe later we will think different, but right now that is best for us.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for us :)

4 comments:

  1. I know if we ever adopt I want to do an international adoption for that same reason. After everything we have been through there is no way I could handle giving my child back to the birth parents. That's why I could never be a foster parent either.

    I recently looked into the Betha.ny agency just to get more info. DH has no problems with adoption if I could just get over some of my concerns with it. At least I am talking/thinking about it now with a more open mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are men always against adoption? I can't understand it. Maybe its there lack of a desire to have a family that isn't there "own"? I think that DH just wants toys now and will think about the lack of family later on, atleast I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Kristen... Also, glad your appt went well the other day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would adopt internally in the US if I could, maybe even foster.

    Adoption used to be so easy.

    ReplyDelete